Gain insight on books and other media from a psychological perspective
Offering a wealth of information for practitioners, faculty, students, and librarians alike, the PsycCRITIQUES® database extends beyond typical book reviews by covering relevant films and videos. With new reviews added each week, PsycCRITIQUES provides analysis and insights to help in collection development, research, classroom activities, and practice.
Key benefits of PsycCRITIQUES
- Quickly uncover and select the most useful resources for reading, viewing, or coursework in psychology and behavioral science
- Full-text, comprehensive reviews allow users to quickly evaluate books, films, and videos for a variety of personal and professional uses
- Engage in thought provoking discussions with the editor and other users via PsycCRITIQUES Spotlight
- Get to know the reviewers, through reviewer biographies and convenient links to all of their indexed reviews
Download a printable information sheet (PDF, 117KB) about PsycCRITIQUES to learn more.
APA Members & Individuals
PsycCRITIQUES is one of several APA research databases available through the following APA PsycNET® personal subscription options:
Visit the APA Members & Individuals page for more information on personal subscription options.
PsycCRITIQUES is also available for personal subscription as an individual database.
Librarians & Institutional Representatives
PsycCRITIQUES is available for institutional site license directly from APA via the APA PsycNET® platform.
To start a free 30-day trial for your institution, or to receive additional information, please email Free Trials for Institutions or call 877-236-2941 or 202-336-5648.
PsycCRITIQUES can also be licensed through the following trusted providers:
|Database Type||Full-text reviews|
|Record Type||Reviews of psychologically relevant literature and resources|
|Number of Records||42,650+ reviews|
|Update Frequency||9–12 reviews added each week|
|Record Format||Full-text HTML|
|Content Alerts||Optional email alerts for new content available at PsycALERT®: Free Email Updates|
The PsycCRITIQUES® database is produced and copyrighted by the American Psychological Association (APA). All rights reserved.
Information current as of March 2017
Learn more about searching PsycCRITIQUES. Take a look at our:
A variety of additional training materials and tools are available from our Search Help and Training Center.
Tips & Training
- APA Databases & Electronic Resources Blog – news about APA Databases, including announcements about training sessions
- Webinar Training – sessions for students and faculty, librarians and individual subscribers
- Video Tutorials – for APA Databases on APA PsycNET, EBSCOhost, ProQuest and OvidSP
- Podcasts – audio summaries of research recently added to PsycEXTRA, PsycBOOKS and PsycCRITIQUES (also available from iTunes)
- Search Guides – platform-specific training materials, including Quick Reference Guides
- Topic Guides – tips for searching APA Databases for a particular topic area
- Classification Codes – categorizing database content by primary subject matter
- Field Guide – quick definitions of the fields in APA Databases
- Record Structures – in-depth information on the searchable fields in:
PsycCRITIQUES publishes evaluative reviews of books, films, and videos of interest to psychologists written by skilled experts in their field.
Individuals who are interested in providing reviews of books, films, or videos visit the reviewer guidelines and forms.
Publishers interested in submitting books to PsycCRITIQUES for review, download the PsycCRITIQUES Fact Sheet for Book Publishers (PDF, 131KB).
For more information, email the PsycCRITIQUES editorial staff.
Visit PsycCRITIQUES Spotlight for discussions of book, film, and video reviews published in the PsycCRITIQUES database.
More About PsycCRITIQUES
- PsycCRITIQUES Printable Fact Sheet (PDF, 117KB)
Access & Subscription Options
Databases & Electronic Products
- APA Style CENTRAL®
The Institutional Electronic Resource for APA Style
Abstracts & Index Records
Full-Text Journal Articles
Full-Text Books & Chapters
Conference Materials, Newsletters, Fact Sheets, & More
Book & Film Reviews
Psychological Tests & Measures
Streaming Psychotherapy Demonstration Videos
- APA Books® E-Collections
Select Full-Text Books
- APA Handbooks in Psychology®
Reference Book Resources
- APA Video Introduction to Psychotherapy Systems
Streaming Video Guide to Psychotherapy Approaches
- APA Clinical Training Video Series
Streaming Video of Psychotherapy Experts in Action