Bullying & Safe Schools for LGBT Students
Support organizations, research and other tools for professionals working with schools to create safer environments for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth. Also includes bullying and suicide prevention resources, and health and public policy links.
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Child Welfare Information Gateway connects child welfare and related professionals to comprehensive information and resources to help protect children and strengthen families.
Larkin Street Stories: The Homeless LGBT Experience, a video series funded by the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
April 15, 2011
Gay-Straight Alliances (GSAs)
- High School Gay-Straight Alliances (GSAs) and Young Adult Well-Being: An Examination of GSA Presence, Participation, and Perceived Effectiveness; Applied Developmental Science, November 2011
- The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network strives to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.
- The Gay-Straight Alliance Network offers bilingual information and resources on how to start gay-straight alliances as well a list of existing GSAs.
- The Youth & Schools Program of the American Civil Liberties Union Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Project works to make public schools safe and bias-free, defends free expression in public schools, and works to help students establish GSAs.
- Special Issue: Creating and Maintaining Safe and Responsive Schools for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Youths, Journal of School Violence, Dec. 5, 2012
- The GroundSpark Respect for All Project facilitates the development of inclusive, bias-free schools and communities by providing media resources, support and training to youth, educators and service providers.
- The Safe Schools Coalition works to help schools become safe places where every child can learn regardless of gender identity or sexual orientation.
Bullying and School Climate
A general APA primer on bullying for federal policy makers; includes recommendations specific to sexual orientation and gender identity.
- The Office for Civil Rights in the US Department of Education provides guidance about and enforces key federal civil rights laws in the nation’s school, including laws preventing sexual harassment.
Connection with Bullying
- Bullying and Suicide - Klomek, A. B., Kleinman, M., Altschuler, E., Marrocco, F., Amakawa, L., & Gould, M. S. (2011). High school bullying as a risk for later depression and suicidality. Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior, 41(5), 501-516.
- Suicide and Bullying: Issue Brief (PDF, 381KB) by the Suicide Prevention Resource Center, with special attention to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth.
Ideation and Self-Harm
- Suicidal Ideation and Self-Harm in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Youth , American Journal of Preventive Medicine, March 2012
- The Social Environment and Suicide Attempts in Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Youth, Mark L. Hatzenbuehler, Pediatrics, published online April 18, 2011
- The Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools in the U.S. Department of Education administers various programs that promote safe schools, effective crisis response, drug abuse and violence prevention, and the health and well being of students.
Health Risks, Including Sexual Health
Good Policy and Practice in HIV and Health Education
Education Sector Responses to Homophobic Bullying by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
- UNESCO leads a landmark anti-bullying initiative, first-ever international consultation to address bullying against lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and inter-sex (LGBTI) students in educational institutions.
Law and Public Policy
Michigan Project for Informed Public Policy Research Fact Sheet: What does the Social Science Research Tell Us about the Impact of Bullying on LGBTQ Young People? (PDF, 588KB) October 2012
Aug. 4, 2010, Coalition Letter to Secetary Sebelius on Bullying, Cyberbullying, and Harassment Recommendations (PDF, 88KB)
U.S. Commission on Civil Rights report Peer-to-Peer Violence + Bullying: Examining the Federal Response (PDF, 2.7MB).
Sep. 26, 2011
Lambda Legal is a civil rights organization for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and those with HIV.