In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
World AIDS Day is an opportunity to unite worldwide in the fight against HIV and raise awareness of the continuing epidemic.
In This Issue
Did You Know?
- Human Rights Day: Dec. 10
The international community established laws that lay down the obligations of governments to respect, protect and fulfill human rights.
Public Relation Office
- Rethinking guns and mental illness
APA participated in panel discussion on improving messaging about gun violence that does not stigmatize individuals with mental illness.
- APA member presents at congressional briefing on the intersection of violence, substance abuse and suicide
APA member Mark Ilgen, PhD, discussed his research on how substance use, misuse and dependence contribute to risk for overdose deaths and suicide.
- Susan Sorenson, PhD, addresses members of the Energy and Commerce Committee at panel on gun violence as a public health issue
Forum on Gun Violence and Public Health featured experts from many fields.
- APA co-sponsors Congressional briefing on preventing human trafficking
Psychologists presented research on risk and protective factors for human trafficking.
- APA sends letter of support for the Dream Act
Proposed legislation would provide a permanent legislative solution to protect “Dreamers.”
- APA supports the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
The Public Interest Directorate Government Relations Office (PI-GRO) partners with Education GRO to train APA members to advocate for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
- Psychologists advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer students
Experts urge federal lawmakers to support nondiscriminatory legislation and policies.