Psychology Teacher Network
A publication of the Education Directorate
December 2017 |Vol. 27, No. 4
APA Summit on High School Psychology Education
- Deliverables and outcomes
Tools, resources and action plans developed by the summit’s eight working groups.
- Observations from the summit
APA president reflects on the summit and psychology education.
By Antonio E. Puente, PhD
- What the summit means for psychology education
Executive director of APA’s Education Directorate examines the many benefits of strengthening psychology education.
By Jaime "Jim" Diaz-Granados, PhD
- What the summit means for high school psychology
TOPSS Committee chair reflects on the summit and how it addressed critical issues in high school psychology education.
By Kristin Whitlock, MEd
- Summit on the mountain
Weber State University in Ogden, Utah, was the site of the historic summit.
By Eric Amsel, PhD, Aaron Ashley, PhD, and Tiffany Page
- Diversity is psychology: A participant’s perspective
Summit deepens participant’s commitment to improving psychology’s understanding of inclusion and diversity.
By Nora Berdelle, MS
- Thanks to Weber State University and other summit sponsors
The generous support of APA, Weber State University and other contributing sponsors made the summit possible.
- Participants at the APA Summit on High School Psychology Education
Seventy-two educators and staff participated in the high school summit in July.
First Summit Deliverables
- Professional development conferences, workshops and regional networks for psychology teachers
A listing of national and regional groups sponsoring workshops for high school psychology teachers.
- Integrating technology in the high school psychology classroom
An introduction to technology tools for teachers.
- Resource-vetting rubric for high school psychology teachers (PDF, 49KB)
This document assures quality control for classroom resources.
- Excellence in teaching: Meet 2017 APA TOPSS Charles T. Blair-Broeker Excellence in Teaching Award recipients
Tiffany Karns and Daria Schaffeld are the 2017 award winners.
News from TOPSS and CABE
- APA TOPSS Charles T. Blair-Broeker Excellence in Teaching Awards
The nomination deadline is Feb. 15, 2018.
- TOPSS welcomes new committee members
Four new committee members will begin terms on January 1.
- Project assessment
An online library featuring course and program-level assessment tools from the Committee on Associate and Baccalaureate Education.
News from APF
- Esther Katz Rosen Pre-College Psychology Grant Program
Up to $25,000 to improve the quality of education in psychological science and its application in secondary schools for high-ability students.
News from STP
- Society for the Teaching of Psychology (STP) Call for nominations: 2018 teaching awards
STP announces its 2018 program of awards for outstanding teachers of psychology.
Mark Your Calendar
- The National Institute on the Teaching of Psychology (NITOP)
NITOP invites you to St. Pete Beach, Florida, on Jan. 3-6, 2018.
- 2018 APA Annual Convention
Join APA Aug. 9-12, 2018, in San Francisco, California.